"Is bounded by Croglin, Cumwhitton, Carlatton, and Castle Carrock. It comprises the townships of Cumrew Inside and Cumrew Outside, which together contain 2,686 acres. The gross rental is £1,673, and the rateable value £1,507. Agriculture is the only employment. The soil is dry and gravelly, producing barley, oats, some wheat, and excellent potatoes. A hill, named Cardunneth (1,300 feet), one of the Pennine range, is within the limits of the parish. From its summit may be seen the distant waters of the Solway; and in the summer time it is a favourite resort of picnic parties."
[Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- There are no record repositories within the parish. Information on County Record Offices and Libraries generally may be found on our Cumberland Archives and Libraries web page. Additional records are at the University of Durham - Library Archives and Special Collections.
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
- "The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small plain edifice, consisting
of nave and chancel, with a tower at the west end carrying
two bells. The royal commissioners, appointed by Edward VI., in
their visitation of this parish, report that they found here "ij bells
one litill bell;" , this "litill bell was probably the one rung at certain
parts of the mass. One of the "ij bells" still swings in the tower,
and calls forth each Sabbath day to the services of the Established
church, as it did of old to the mass of the ancient creed. It bears
the following inscription in Gothic capitals, AVE MARIA, GIRACIA
PLENA (Hail Mary, full of grace), and is supposed to be about 500
years old. The other bell has been replaced by one which bears the
date 1750. The old silver chalice or communion cup, supposed to
have been minted in 1615 or 16, is still preserved, and on the communion
table is the date 1686, and the initials D. J. C. (the initials
of the donor John Calvert). This living was, until recently, a per-
petual curacy, in the gift and impropriation of the dean and chapter
of Carlisle; but the tithes, both vicarial and rectorial, have been
transferred to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The tithes have
been commuted for a yearly payment of £45, and the rest of the
income is derived from land purchased with divers grants from Queen
Anne's Bounty. The rectory is now worth £165, and is held by the
Rev. James Lamb. Efforts are now being made to raise funds for
the erection of a new and more suitable edifice.
The Parish school was erected in 1847, at a cost, including
master's house, of £190. It has recently been improved, towards
the cost of which the National Society contributed £40."
(Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the
Cumbria Archive Service:
Church of England (CRO Reference: PR17)
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1679-1812 1679-1837 1755-1826 1679-1812 1665-1886
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation, were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria, as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
- A Description of Cumrew transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- The transcription of the section for Cumrew from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Cumrew fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.