"DACRE, a parish in the ward of Leath, in the E. division of the county of Cumberland, 4½ miles S.W. of Penrith, and 2 from Lake Ulleswater. It is situated on the river Dacre and the Carlisle railway. The parish contains the townships of Dacre, Great Blencowe, Stainton, Newbiggin, and Soulby. In the year 930, Constantine, King of Scotland, and Eugenius, King of Cumberland, did homage to King Athelstan at this place. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £120, in the patronage of the lord chancellor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Dacre from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.