"DALSTON parish is bounded on the east by Leath Ward, on the west by the parishes of Thursby and Westward, on the north by Cummersdasle, High Blackwall and Wreay townships, and on the south by the parish of Sebergham. A great part of the arable land lies rather low, inclining gently to the river Caldew, and has upon its well-wooded banks, three large cotton mills, an iron forge, a flax mill, and two corn mills. The parish is remarkable for antiquities and ancient mansions, amongst which is Rose Castle, the seat of the Bishop of Carlisle."
[Description from Mannix & Whellan's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847]
- There are no record repositories within the parish.
- Information on County Record Offices and Libraries geneally may be found on our Cumberland Archives and Libraries web page. Additional records are at the University of Durham - Library Archives and Special Collections.
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
- History, Gazeteer and Directory of Cumberland. Mannix and Whelan, 1847.
- The Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society:
- Seven Volumes of Dalston Parish Registers, Kuper, M.E., Tr. 7, 1884
- The Dalston Transcript of 1589-90, Wilson, James, Tr. 4, 1880
- The parish registers of Dalston, Cumberland, Wilson, James, Ed. v.1 1570-1678, v.2 1679-1812.
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the
Cumbria Archive Service:
Church of England (CRO Reference: PR41)
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1570-1866 1570-1989 1754-1967 1570-1901 1589-1870 Baptisms Chapel Registers 1854-1929
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation, were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria, as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
- A Description of Dalston transcribed from Mannix & Whellan's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847 by ?Steve Bulman?.
- The transcription of the section for Dalston from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- The Dalston Village site has a useful selection of articles on Dalston History.
- Dalston fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.