"DEARHAM, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 6 miles N.W. of Cockermouth, and 14 W. of Wigton. It has a station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway, and contains Ellenborough and Ewanrigg. There are extensive collieries, the coal from which is shipped at Maryport; also a manufactory for earthenware. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £85, in the patronage of J. Christian, Esq. The church was much altered by repairs in 1814. It contains a carved Saxon font, and in the churchyard is a sculptured cross."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Transcriptions of Dearham Bishops Transcripts are available from the "Cumberland Roots" (archived) website. Added 10 May 2006.
- The transcription of the section for Dearham from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.