"DISTINGTON, (or Dissington), a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 4 miles N.E. of Whitehaven, and 4 S. of Workington. It is situated near the coast, and contains coal-pits and quarries of limestone. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the manufacture of linen, thread, hats, and edge tools. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £301, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Distington from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.