"DRIGG, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 3 miles N.W. of Ravenglass, its post town, and 17 S.E. of Whitehaven. It is situated on the river Irt, and contains the township of Carleton, with the hamlet of Carleton Hall. The Whitehaven and Furness Junction railway has a station about half a mile from Drigg. Here is a chalybeate spring, and an hotel near the railway station. This parish derives its name from the Celtic word Derigh, or Dergh, signifying an "oak", which trees in former times grew here in large quantities."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Drigg from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.