"EDENHALL, a parish in Leath ward, county Cumberland, 3 miles N.E. of Penrith, its post town and railway station on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway. It is situated on the rivers Eamont and Eden, whence it takes its name, and is within the limits of Inglewood Forest. The Newcastle and Penrith road passes through the village, which is small, and wholly agricultural. It is the property of the Musgrave family, who have held the manor since the reign of Henry VI., having inherited it from the Stapletons."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Edenhall from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.