"EGREMONT, a parish and ancient market town in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 5 miles S.E. of Whitehaven, its post town, and 20 S.W. of Carlisle. The Nethertown station on the Whitehaven and Furness Junction railway is about 2 miles S.W. of the town. There is also a branch line from Whitehaven to the N. side of the town. This place is of great antiquity, and the neighbourhood is asserted by tradition to have been the scene of several engagements between the Danes and Saxons."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Egremont from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.