"EMBLETON, a chapelry in the parish of Brigham, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 3 miles S.E. of Cockermouth, and 4 E. of Brigham. It contains the hamlets of Backhouse, High Side, Shatton, Stanger, and Stanley Hall. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £54. The church is a plain modern structure, dedicated to St. Cuthbert. There is a parochial school for both sexes. General Wyndham is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]