"ENNERDALE, a chapelry in the parish of St. Bees, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 5 miles N.E. of Egremont, and 6 S.E. of Whitehaven. St. Bees is its post town. The Frizington station on the Whitehaven and Egremont branch line is nearly 3 miles to the W. of the village. It is situated on the river Ellen, a little to the W. of the lake known as Ennerdale Water, new much visited by tourists, and abounding with fine fish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Ennerdale from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.