"ESKDALE, a chapelry and township with Wastdale Head, in the parish of St. Bees, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 5 miles N.W. of Ravenglass. Holmrook is its post town. The Drigg station on the Whitehaven and Furness Junction railway is about 4½ miles to the S.W. of the village. It is situated on the river Esk, and includes the hamlets of Boot, Gatehouse Green, and Mitredale. Iron ore is found here. In the neighbourhood are the waterfalls of Stanley Ghyll and Birker Force."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Eskdale from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.