"FLIMBY, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 2 miles S. of Maryport, its post town, and 7 N. W. of Cockermouth. It is situated on the western coast, and has a station on the Whitehaven Junction line of railway. Here are extensive collieries, giving employment to a large number of the inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £82, in the gift of the landowners."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Transcriptions of Flimby Bishops Transcripts are available from the "Cumberland Roots" (archived) website. Added 10 May 2006.
- The transcription of the section for Flimby from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.