GILCRUX, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GILCRUX, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 5 miles N. of Cockermouth, its post town, and 5½ E. of Maryport. It is situated on the S. bank of the river Ellen. The Bull Gill station on the Carlisle and Maryport line of railway is 1 mile W. of the village. Coal abounds, and stone and lime are also obtained. There are numerous springs, some with medicinal properties. The land is chiefly arable, and the surface varied. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle, value £100, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient structure of stone, dedicated to St. Mary. The only charity is an endowment of £24 yearly, bequeathed by Joseph Fordiff for the free school. The celebrated mineralogist, Joseph Jackson, was born here. Ellen Hall, an old seat of the Dykes family, is now in ruins. Mrs. M. B. Dykes is lady of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]