"GILCRUX, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 5 miles N. of Cockermouth, its post town, and 5½ E. of Maryport. It is situated on the S. bank of the river Ellen. The Bull Gill station on the Carlisle and Maryport line of railway is 1 mile W. of the village. Coal abounds, and stone and lime are also obtained. There are numerous springs, some with medicinal properties. The land is chiefly arable, and the surface varied."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Transcriptions of Gilcrux Bishops Transcripts are available from the "Cumberland Roots" (archived) website. Added 10 May 2006.
- The transcription of the section for Gilcrux from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.