"GOSFORTH, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 5 miles N. of Ravenglass, and 12 S.E. of Whitehaven, its post town. It is situated on the river Bleng, and includes the townships of High and Low Bolton, Boonwood, and Newton. Seascale is a large sea-side hamlet of the parish, much frequented for bathing, where there is a station on the Whitehaven and Furness Junction railway, about 3 miles W. of Gosforth. There is a large tract of moorland, and several extensive peat mosses. This place supplies good building stone, which is extensively quarried."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Gosforth from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.