GREAT SALKELD, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GREAT SALKELD, a parish in the ward of Leath, county Cumberland, 5½ miles N.E. of Penrith, its post town, and 4½ S.E. of Plumpton railway station. The village is situated at the bridge over the river Eden, near Force Mill fall, and is chiefly agricultural. In the vicinity are traces of Dyke and Aikton-Castle camps, the ramparts of which are still 12 feet high, also the pier of an ancient bridge, which was swept away by a great flood in 1360. The soil consists of a light gravel upon a subsoil of gravel and freestone. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder rough pasture and woodland. There is a mineral spring on the common having chalybeate properties. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £345, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is an ancient stone structure with an old fortified tower, and dungeon underneath. The churchyard contains several ancient tombs. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. Dr. Benson, the Nonconformist, Chief Justice Ellenborough, and other eminent men, were natives of this parish. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]