GREAT SALKELD, Cumberland
"GREAT SALKELD, a parish in the ward of Leath, county Cumberland, 5½ miles N.E. of Penrith, its post town, and 4½ S.E. of Plumpton railway station. The village is situated at the bridge over the river Eden, near Force Mill fall, and is chiefly agricultural. In the vicinity are traces of Dyke and Aikton-Castle camps, the ramparts of which are still 12 feet high, also the pier of an ancient bridge, which was swept away by a great flood in 1360. The soil consists of a light gravel upon a subsoil of gravel and freestone."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Great Salkeld from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.