"GREYSTOKE, a parish in Leath ward, county Cumberland, 6 miles W. of Penrith, its post town and railway station on the Lancaster and Carlisle line. It is situated on the river Peterill, and the Cockermouth and Penrith roads pass through it. The parish is extensive, and includes the townships of Little Blencowe, Berrier with-Murrah, Gill-with-Motherby, Hutton John, Hutton Roof, Hutton Soil, Johnby, Matterdale, Mungrisdale, Threlkeld, and Water-Millock, and several hamlets A castle was built here in the 14th century by the Greystocks, from whom the place takes its name."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Greystoke from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.