"GRINSDALE, a parish in the ward and county of Cumberland, 3 miles N.W. of Carlisle, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Eden, and the Caledonian railway, as well as the ship canal, pass through the neighbourhood. The De Grinsdale family formerly held the manor. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £108. The church is a small edifice of freestone dedicated to St. Kentigern. It has monuments of the Gray, Steele, and other families. Here are still traces of Roman encampments, and part of the great Roman wall."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]