"HARRINGTON, a parish and small seaport in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 2½ miles S. of Workington, and 5 N. of Whitehaven. It is a station on the Whitehaven Junction railway. The town, which consists of several streets, is of modern date, having a small pier harbour at Bellaport, and is a subport to Whitehaven. There is a fixed light 44 feet high, erected 1797, and seen 11 miles distant on the coast."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Harrington from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.