"This parish, measuring ten miles in circumference, is bounded by those of Farlam, Brampton, Castle Carrock, Cumwhitton, Wetheral, Warwick, and Irthington. The Irthing and the Gelt unite their waters in the parish. On the banks of the latter are quarries of freestone, limestone, and blue slate; and coal mines were worked in Talkin until a recent date. It is divided into four townships, viz., Little Corby, Faugh and Fenton, Hayton, and Talkin; and comprises the two manors of Hayton and Talkin."
[Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- There are no record repositories within the parish. Information on County Record Offices and Libraries generally may be found on our Cumberland Archives and Libraries web page. Additional records are at the University of Durham - Library Archives and Special Collections.
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
The Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society:
- Annals of Hayton, Graham, T.H.B., 1924, N.S., Vol 25.
- The Common Fields of Hayton,1907, N.S., Vol 8.
- An Old Map of Hayton Manor, 1906, map, N.S. Vol 7.
- The Parish of Hayton,1907, N.S. Vol 8.
- "The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen, is a neat edifice, consisting of nave and chancel, with a small square tower. It was erected in 1780, upon the site of the old church, and in 1812 the chancel was rebuilt, at the expense of the late T. H. Graham, Esq. This church was given by Robert de Vaux, or Vallibus, to the prior and convent of Carlisle, and was shortly afterwards appropriated to that monastery. After the suppression of ieligious houses it was transferred to the dean and chapter, who still retain the patronage. Previous to the commutation, the tithes were leased out for twenty-one years by the impropriators, reserving the annual payment of 17 eskeps of oatmeal; the lessee further covenanted to pay the curate £5 yearly, and to repair the chancel. A curious custom was formerly observed here in connection with the lease of the small tithes. Three times in the year the lessee distributed ale among the parishioners. On the feast of St. Andrew he gave away 12 gallons, at Candlemas 12 gallons also were given away, and at the great festival of Easter 24 gallons were dlistributed. The Earl of Carlisle is the impropriator of a portion of the corn tithes of Talkin, and the vicar of Brampton owns the hay tithes of the same township; but all are now commuted for a rent charge on the land. In 1751 and 1757 the living received two augmentations, amounting to £400, from Queen Anne's Bounty, with which land was purchased at Hayton, and added to the ancient glebe - making altogether about 96 acres. The benefice is now a vicarage worth about £300. and in the incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Wallace." (Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the
Cumbria Archive Service: Church of England (CRO Reference: PR102)
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1619-1974 1629-1978 1754-1986 1620-1950 1665-1874
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation, were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria, as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
- A Description of Hayton transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- The transcription of the section for Hayton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- "The parishes and townships of Cumberland afford numerous examples of the localisation of names and families, somewhat akin to the clan organisation of our Teutonic ancestors, or the more perfect clanship which existed on the other side of the border. The family of Milburn, one of whom endowed the school, was once largely represented in Talkin. We read of the Milburns as early as 1224, when one who bore the name was vicar of Irthington. Jeffery Milnebourne was master of the grammar school at Brampton, in the reign of Elizabeth, where he taught for the modest stipend of £16 13s. 4d. per annum. Between the years 1663 and 1763 there were buried at Brampton 87 persons from Talkin, and of these 46 were Milburns. The family at that period must have been numerous, but a glance at our Directory of the township will show that the time-honoured name is fast approaching extinction in Talkin. Talkin Tarn, a small lake well stocked with fish, is situated in this township. Beneath its quiet waters, it is said, the fisherman may see the ruins of a submerged city, which once covered the spot now occupied by the tarn. Many ages ago, says the legend, a prophet was sent to wreak God's vengeance on the inhabitants for their wickedness. He warned them of the object of his mission, but they heeded not; one poor aged widow, who lived on the outskirts, alone showed him hospitality and received him into her house. As a reward for her kindness the prophet interceded for her, and the flood which buried the city beneath its waters and formed the lake, stopped short of the widow's cottage, at a spot to which she had been able to throw the shovel. Somewhat similar legends of submerged cities are related of several other lakes." (Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
- "The manor of Hayton belongs to the Earl of Carlisle, in right of his barony of Gilsland. In the Denton MS. we are told that Hayton, villa in colle, was freehold in the time of Hubert de Vaux, who gave it to his cousin Eustace de Vaux. After four generations, it passed by the marriage of the heiress to John de Denton, who, in the reign of Henry VII., gave it to Lord Dacre in exchange. The Manor of Talkin is held by the Earl of Carlisle in right of his Barony of Gilsland. In an Inquisition taken in the 31st year of Elizabeth, we are told thaf there was then within the manor a great common of heath and pasture ground, containing about 1,000 acres, on which the inhabitants of the said manor had the privilege of pasture for their cattle. These rights of common which have been inherited from our Teutonic forefathers are now fast disappearing from the parish rolls, and the industrious peasant who aforetime could increase his little store by keeping a cow on the common, must henceforth be content with the wages of his day's labour. The principal landowners are the lord of the manor, R. J. Graham, Esq., Mr. Joseph Watson, Netherton; William Watson, Esq., Holme Eden, Warwick Bridge." (Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
- Hayton fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.