"HENSINGHAM, a chapelry in the parish of St. Bees, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 1 mile S.E. of Whitehaven, its post town. The village, which is situated on rising ground, commands a view of the town and harbour of Whitehaven. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the linen and thread manufactory. Limestone is largely quarried and burnt into lime at Overend. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1767."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Hensingham from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.