Link to maps of Hesket in the Forest (GENUKI)

HESKET IN THE FOREST, Cumberland

"HESKET-IN-THE-FOREST, a parish in the ward of Leath, county Cumberland, 9 miles S.E. of Carlisle, its post town, and 9 N.W. of Penrith. It is situated on the river Eden, and is intersected by the Lancaster and Carlisle railway. The parish, which is of large extent, comprising above 10,000 acres, contains the village of Armathwaite, and the townships of Itonfield, Petteril-Crooks, Plumpton-street, with Nether and Upper Hesket, in Inglewood Forest, and the hamlet of Calthwaite."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

"HESKET in the FOREST, a parish in Leath ward, county of Cumberland, comprising the townships of Calthwaite, Nether and Upper Hesket, Itonfield, Petterell-Crooks, and Plumpton-Street, and containing 1799 inhabitants, of which number, 780 are in the township of.Nether and Upper Hesket, 9 miles (N. by W.) from Penrith. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Carlisle, endowed with 800 private benefaction, 200 royal bounty, and 1900 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built about 1530, and rebuilt in 1678, and again in 1760. In 1763, John Brown bequeathed 200 towards the support of a school, in which one hundred children are now educated at a small charge. The courts for the Forest of Inglewood are held in this parish, yearly on St. Barnabas' day, in the open air, under a tree called Court Thorn, on the road between Upper and Nether Hesket, on which occasion the inhabitants of more than twenty townships attend, from whom a jury is ballotted and sworn. Near Aiketgate is a lake called by the general name of Tarn, covering about one hundred acres, and abounding in carp."

[Description from A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcribed by Chris Willis ©2013]

Gazetteers