"IREBY, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 7 miles S.W. of Wigton, and about the same distance S.E. of Aspatria. It contains the townships of High and Low Ireby, and the hamlet of Ruthwaite. The soil is clay and light loam, with limestone and freestone subsoil. It is situated in a bleak spot, and is believed to be the Roman Arbeia. Tho village of Low Ireby is situated on the river Ellen, and on the high road between Carlisle and Keswick."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Ireby from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.