"IRTON, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 15 miles from Whitehaven, its post town, and 4 from the Drigg station on the Whitehaven and Furness line of railway. It is situated on the river Irt, from which it derives its name, and contains the townships of Irton and Saunton with Melthwaite. The parish is generally hilly, and in some parts mountainous. The soil is various, being fertile in some parts and in others peat and bog, which last is used for fuel."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Irton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.