"ISELL, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 3 miles N.E. of Cockermouth, its post town. It contains the townships of Isell with Redmain, Isell Old Park, Blindcrake, and Sunderland. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Derwent, which is here crossed by a bridge built in 1691. Coal and copper mines were formerly wrought within the parish, and building stone is quarried at Moothley Hill."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Isell from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.