"KESWICK, a market town in the parish of Crosthwaite, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 13 miles S.E. of Cockermouth, 18 S.W. of Penrith, and 22 from Wigton. It is situated in the Vale of Derwentwater, on the river Greta, and is regarded as the capital of the Lake district. The township is included in the manor of Derwentwater, which formerly belonged to the Earl of Derwentwater, but was forfeited by him, and passed into the hands of the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The manor with the lands was purchased by the late John Marshall, Esq."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Keswick from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.