KIRKANDREWS ON EDEN, Cumberland
"KIRK-ANDREWS-UPON-EDEN, a parish in the ward and county of Cumberland, 3 miles N.W. of Carlisle, its post town. It is a small village and railway station situated on the Carlisle ship canal and the river Eden. The parish contains the hamlet of Hesket Hill and the chapelry of Beaumont. The wall of Antoninus is traced through this parish, and on the common several urns have been found. The surface is generally flat, and the soil a rich black loam, alternating with sand."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Kirk Andrews upon Eden from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.