KIRK-BAMPTON, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KIRK-BAMPTON, a parish in the county Cumberland, 6 miles W. of Carlisle, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Wigton. It contains the townships of Bampton Great and Little, and Oughterby. It is a polling-place for the county elections. The soil is various. In this parish are traces of numerous defensive works erected against the incursions of the moss-troopers. The principal of them is at the S. of the village, which occupies nearly an acre, and consists of an enclosure defended by a double rampant and double ditch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle, value £100. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, and has a chancel which is much admired. There is a parochial school." "LITTLE BAMPTON, a township in the parish of Kirk-Bampton, ward and county of Cumberland, 7 miles to the W. of Carlisle." "OUGHTERBY, a township in the parish of Kirk-Bampton, ward and county of Cumberland, 1 mile S.W. of the parish church, and 7 miles W. of Carlisle. It is situated on high ground, and contains the hamlet of Studholm."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]