Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"KIRKBRIDE is a township, small parish, and village, 6 miles north-by-east from Wigton, and 4 south from Bowness, in the Wigton union, Cumberland ward, Eastern division of the county, archdeaconry and diocese of Carlisle; it is situated on the south side of the estuary of the Wampool. The sandbanks shift, owing to the eddies formed by meetings of the tides and freshes." [Description(s) from a Post Office Directory of Cumberland (1858) - Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie ©2006]
- Here is a list of Kirkbride Parish Records available on Microfilm from LDS Family History Libraries. Film Numbers are reproduced on GENUKI by kind permission of the Genealogical Society of Utah.
|Bishop's transcripts, 1663-1890. ||Microfilm Number |
|Christenings, marriages, and burials, 1663-1890 |
Microfilm of original records at the courts, Carlisle.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Kirkbride which are provided by:
- Transcription of section of Post Office Directory of Cumberland for Kirkbride in 1858, by Rosemary Lockie. Added 6 Apr 2006.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY229564 (Lat/Lon: 54.896382, -3.203728), Kirkbride which are provided by:
- There are only two short references to Kirkbride in the National Gazetteer (1868), which is the main source of town and parish descriptions on this site. In the description for Cumberland itself it states:-
"The Sark is for about 6 miles the border-line between Cumberland and Scotland, near Solway Moss. The Wampool and the Waver form one estuary of considerable size. The former flows from the Brocklebank Fells, past Old Carlisle and Wigton. The town of Kirkbride is close to its mouth." And listed under 'Kirkbride' it says:-
"KIRK-BRIDE, or KIRK ST. BRIDGET. See BRIDEKIRK, co. Cumberland." It would appear from this reference that in 1868 Kirkbride was current also as an alias of Bridekirk, although I do not have independent corroboration of this. It is not clear why there was no entry for this village between Bowness (Solway) and Wigton in this otherwise comprehensive Gazetteer.