"KIRKLAND, a parish in Leath ward, county Cumberland, 9 miles E. of Penrith, its post town and railway station. It is situated near the river Eden, under Cross Fell, and contains the townships of Skirwith and Blencarn, and the chapelry of Culgaith. The old Roman road Maiden Way traverses the parish. The soil is various, and the surface boldly varied, rising into hills of mountainous elevation. Above half the parish is in pasture, the remainder arable, except about 1,000 acres of improvable common. The high pasture lands are principally kept as sheepwalks."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Kirkland from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.