"KIRKOSWALD, a parish in Leath ward, county Cumberland, 8 miles N.E. of Penrith, its post town, 15 S. of Carlisle, and 6 from the Plumpton station on the Lancashire and Carlisle railway. The village, which is considerable, but irregularly built, is situated on the declivity of a hill near the eastern bank of the river Eden. The parish, which is about 6 miles in length by 4 broad, contains the township of Staffield. It was formerly a market town, but the market is now discontinued."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Kirkoswald from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.