"LAMPLUGH, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 8 miles S. of Cockermouth, its post town, and 9 E. of Whitehaven. The parish extends 6 miles by 3, and comprises the townships of Felton, Murton, and Winder. Iron ore is procured here in large quantities. There are extensive quarries of limestone and freestone. The parish is bounded on the E. by Loweswater and Crummockwater. Two branches of the river Marron have their source here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Lamplugh from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.