We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Lanercost is a large and picturesque district, which extends about ten miles in length, from east to west, and nine from north to south. It is bounded on the south and east by the river Irthing, on the north by the parish of Bewcastle, and on the west by the parishes of Walton and Stapleton. Hadrian's Wall runs through the parish and many sections may still be seen, including an important Roman station at Birdoswald. The parish is divided into four townships; Askerton, Burtholme, Kingwater, and Waterhead." [Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- A number of books and materials of interest are available from the Cumbria Archive Service and are described on that page.
- One fiction title especially captures the early Lanercost experience. It is set at Askerton, in the north of Lanercost parish and gives an image of life during the reiver era.
This is historical fiction; entertaining and very interesting as it concerns real names and places from the Lanercost (Askerton), Bewcastle and border area, set during the border troubles and laced with reiver names: Noble, Elliott and Armstrong. A very good read by an author who is an expert on the area and its history.
- The Candlemass Road, George MacDonald Fraser, Harvill, An Imprint of Harper Collins, London, 1993. ISBN 0 00 271362 4.
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884. One of several 19th century directories that covers Lanercost. It provides a good description and history of the parish and lists the residents.
- A typescript of Monumental Inscriptions from Lanercost churchyard is available at the Carlisle CRO. If it has been otherwise published, I am unaware of it.
- The parish draws its name from that of Lanercost Abbey or Priory, and its history is perhaps the greatest factor influencing the history of the parish. The ruins of the Abbey are open for visits during the mild weather months of the year, and are managed by English Heritage. The nave of the original Abbey is used as the parish church to this day, and is open for visit year round. In about 1166, Robert de Vaux, provided an endowment, establishing a house of Augustinian Cannons. The church was partially completed by 1200 and finished by 1220. Lanercost continued as a Priory until the Dissolution in 1536. During this period, the Priory was visited three times by Edward I but was also three times ransacked by invading Scots. Following the Dissolution, the buildings belonged to Sir Thomas Dacre, but the north aisle was used as a parish church. In 1740, the church was enlarged by the restoration of the nave, the arrangement used today.
- The History of the Priory is also covered as a part of the Heritage Trail for Cumbria.
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the Cumbria Archive Service: Church of England (CRO Reference: PR121)
|Baptisms ||Marriage ||Banns ||Burial ||Bishops Trans |
|1684-1987 ||1687-1992 ||1754-1990 ||1698-1870 ||1666-1876 |
- The following transcriptions of the Church Records are available:-
- The Register of the Parish of Lanercost, Cumberland. Baptisms, Weddings and Burials, 1666-1730, Ed; T.W. Willis, Brampton, 1908
- The Register of the Parish of Lanercost, Cumberland. Baptisms, Weddings and Burials, 1731-1837, Ed; T.W. Willis, 1912
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Lanercost which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Lanercost has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY556637 (Lat/Lon: 54.965960, -2.695032), Lanercost which are provided by:
[Page originated by Don Noble on 19 May 1996 and updated 2 Sep 2004 - Phil Stringer]
- In researching Lanercost records, the following notes by T.W. Willis (see Register above) can be extremely helpful:
Note that these are quite distinct places: Willis also suggests that Herdhouse and Hardhurst are the same place.
- Lea Hill and Lees Hill
- Brampton and Brampton Loan
- Bush and Birk Bush
- Heugh and Heugh Brae