"LANGWATHBY, (or Longwathby), a parish in the ward of Leath, county Cumberland, 4 miles N.E. of Penrith, its post town, and about 5 from the railway station on the London and North-Western line. It is situated on the river Eden, which is here crossed by a bridge of three arches, built in 1686. The main road between Penrith and Newcastle passes through the village, which is a small agricultural place."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Langwathby from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.