"LAZONBY, a parish in Leath ward, county Cumberland, 7 miles N.E. of Penrith, its post town, and 1 mile from Kirkoswald. The village is situated on a hill by the W. bank of the river Eden. The parish, which is of large extent, contains the township of Lazonby and the chapelry of Plumpton Wall, on the Peterill. The great Roman road passes from N. to S., and another intersects the parish in a direction towards Salkeld Gate. Urns have been found on the Fells, containing bones and ashes. There are traces of a moated castle at Castle Rigg farm."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Lazonby from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.