"LORTON, a parochial chapelry in the parish of Brigham and the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 3 miles S.E. of Cockermouth, its post town, and 8 N.W. of Keswick. It is situated on the river Cocker, and comprises the villages of High and Low Lorton, with the townships of Brackenthwaite and Wythop, and the hamlet of Armaside. The people are employed in flax-dressing, and in the manufacture of thread."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Lorton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.