"MARYPORT, a chapelry, seaport, and market town in the parish of Crosscanonby, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 5 miles E. of Workington, and 7 N.W. of Cockermouth. It is a station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway, which communicates between the eastern and western coasts and the North and Irish seas. Maryport is situated on an eminence at the river Ellen's mouth. Previous to 1750 it was but a poor fishing village called Ellen-foot, but is now an extensive and thriving coal port, and of late years has been rising into commercial importance."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Maryport from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.