"MORESBY, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 2½ miles N.E. of Whitehaven, its post town. It is situated on the coast of the Irish Sea, and contains the townships of Moresby and Parton. It was the site of the Roman station Arbeia, where foundations of buildings, coins, &c., have been found. The substratum is very productive of coal, and freestone. The village is of small extent and chiefly agricultural. There is an iron foundry within the parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Moresby from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.