"MOSSER, a township and chapelry in the parish of Brigham, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 4 miles S. of Cockermouth, its post town. The township, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Cocker, and is divided into two parts, called High and Low Mosser. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £44. The church, dedicated to St. Philip, has one bell. General Wyndham is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]