"This parish is bounded on the west by the Irish sea, on the north by Irton and Drigg, on the east by Ulpha and Eskdale, and on the west by Waberthwaite. It consist of two townships, Muncaster and Birkby. A vein of iron ore is supposed to exist at a place called Brankenwalls gill, the property of the Rev. Samuel Dupre of Bridgenorth, but neither coal, limestone nor freestone is found in this parish. Lord Muncaster is the principal landowner, and the population of the parish in 1841 was 602 souls."
[Description from Mannix & Whellan's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847]
- A Description of Muncaster transcribed from Mannix & Whellan's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847 by Carol Bennett.
- The transcription of the section for Muncaster from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.