"MUNGRISDALE, a township and chapelry in the parish of Greystoke, Leath ward, county Cumberland, 8 miles E. by N. of Keswick, and 11 from Penrith, its post town. It is situated on the river Glenderamakin, under Souter Fell and Saddleback. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the slate quarries, which consist chiefly of blue slate and flagstone. The soil is principally clay, and the land in pasture."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Mungrisdale from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.