NETHER DENTON, Cumberland
"NETHER DENTON lies on the south side of the Irthing, between Naworth and Upper Denton and the parish has no dependent townships. As was usual with primitive nations, its name is descriptive, and not a mere fanciful appellation, such as we, in modern times, bestow; it was one of the tons or towns of our Saxon forefathers, who named it, from its position, Dene-ton, that is, the town in the dene or valley."
[Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- There are no record repositories within the parish. Information on County Record Offices and Libraries generally may be found on our Cumberland Archives and Libraries web page. Additional records are at the University of Durham - Library Archives and Special Collections.
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
- The Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society:
- The Recently Discovered remains at Nether Denton Parsonage, Rev. T.T. Shipman, O.S, Vol. 1, 1868
- A cross from Nether Denton Church, Rev Cannon R.D. Ellwood, N.S, Vol. 42, 1941 (plate)
- "The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, was erected in 1866, upon the site of the old one.
It is a small but neat structure in the Early English style, consisting of the nave and chancel, with
small campanile at one end, pierced for two bells but carrying only one. We have no record of the
foundation of the original church, but one must have existed here at an early period after the
Conquest. Robert, son of Bueth, we are told, endowed it with several acres of land and gave it to
the monks of Wetheral. Robert's successor canceled the grant and gave the church to Lanercost
Priory. The monks of Wetheral appealed, litigation followed, and the Papal legate terminated the
dispute by a division of the profits of the living between the two houses, and the transfer of the
patronage to the Bishop of Carlisle.
The Wesleyan Chapel is a neat stone structure, erected in 1883, the cost raised mostly by
(Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the
Cumbria Archive Service:
Church of England (CRO Reference PR 125):
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1703-1934 1703-1978 1755-1834 1703-1969 1672-1907 Marriages Chapel Registers 1940-1969
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation, were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria, as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
- The transcription of the section for Nether Denton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Nether Denton was a part of the Howard of Naworth family estates and the Barony of Gilsland. Many of the Manorial Records are available at the Carlisle CRO, but the bulk of the family records have been deposited in the University of Durham's Library. More detailed information may be found on the Durham University Library - Special Collections website.
- Nether Denton fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.