NETHER WASDALE, Cumberland
"NETHER WASDALE, (or Wasdale Nether), (or Strands), a chapelry in the parish of St. Bees, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 7 miles from Ravenglass, 4 E. of Gosforth, and 7 from the Drigg station, on the Whitehaven and Furness Junction line of railway. The village is situated amongst the hills, near the sources of the rivers Irt and Esk, under the Cinderdale Falls. The surface is hilly, and the land principally unenclosed pasture and waste, with a small proportion of arable and woodland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Nether Wasdale from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.