"NEWLANDS, a chapelry in the parish of Crosthwaite, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 4 miles S.W. of Keswick, its post town. It is situated under Hindscar, near Derwentwater, and contains the hamlet of Little Keswick, or Little Town, which is situated so close under the mountain that the solar rays are intercepted from it between November and February. The houses are few in number and much scattered. There are lead and copper mines."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Newlands from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.