"NEWTON-REGNY, (or Newton Rainey), a parish in the ward of Leath, county Cumberland, 2¼ miles W. of Penrith, its nearest railway station and post town. The village, which is of small extent, and wholly agricultural, is situated on the Petteril stream. The parish includes the township of Catterlin and the hamlet of Sewborwen. The land is almost wholly arable."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Newton Regny from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.