"ORTON, a parish in the ward and county of Cumberland, 5 miles S.W. of Carlisle, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Wigton. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the townships of Great Orton and Baldwinholme. The village is of ancient date, and was formerly defended against the moss troopers by earthworks. From an elevation called Parson's Thorn, upwards of a dozen churches may be seen, among which are several in Scotland. Coal is found."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Orton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.