PLUMPTON WALL, Cumberland
"PLUMPTON-WALL, a township and chapelry in the parish of Lazonby, ward of Leath, county Cumberland, 5 miles N.W. of Penrith, its post town. It is a station on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Petterill, near the Roman camp at Bremetenracum, or Voreda. At Old Penrith, on the Roman way from Ambleside to Carlisle, a Roman altar was found, and at Castle Steads an inscribed stone with a bust. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Plumpton Wall from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.