"RAUGHTON-HEAD, a chapelry in the parish of Castle-Sowerby, Leath ward, county Cumberland, 7 miles S.W. of Carlisle, and 9 N.W. of Penrith. It is situated in Inglewood Forest, near the river Calder. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £100. The church was rebuilt in 1678, and repaired and enlarged in 1760. There is a parochial school with a small endowment."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]