"RAVENGLASS, a small seaport and market town in the parish of Muncaster, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 56 miles S.W. of Carlisle. It is a station on the Whitehaven and Furness junction railway. It is situated on the shore of the Irish Channel, near the estuary of the rivers Eske, Mite, and Irt, which here falling into the sea form a safe and commodious harbour. The town consists mainly of one large range of houses, facing the sea, and is sheltered from the N.E. winds by the Black Combe mountains."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Ravenglass from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.